The European Subsea Cables Association (ESCA) Fishing Advisor monitors and reports to the European Subsea Cables Association on Fishing activity, fishing methods and other topics of interest in the geographical areas of:
- Coastal and territorial seas of the UK & Ireland, Northern Europe, and the European Continental Shelf.
- Activity beyond the Continental shelf that could impact on members cables.
His role is to:
- Monitor UK & Irish fishing activity with a focus on its potential interaction with submarine cables
- Investigate specific topics as requested by European Subsea Cables Association members via the MSG Chairman.
- Provide technical support & advice on fishing related subjects to members of the European Subsea Cables Association via the MSG Chairman.
- Report on Regional levels of fishing effort.
- Report on Seasonal movements of vessels.
- Report on trends in gear design and take up of new methods.
- Report on effects of UK & EU fishing legislation.
- Be aware of the relationship between NFFO; SFF; Local POs and the European Subsea Cables Association and contribute to improving and maintaining these professional relationships as deemed necessary by the MSG and SCUK.
- Attend ESCA MSG meetings to report and receive instructions.